• 🚀 Join the Uncrowned Addiction Community Today! 🚀

Say Goodbye to Ads and Hello to Tech Talk!

👋 Hey there, tech enthusiast! Noticed those pesky ads? Well, we've got great news for you! Sign up for free at Uncrowned Addiction and enjoy an ad-free experience as part of our vibrant tech community.

Why Join Us?

• Friendly Community: Connect with fellow tech lovers in a welcoming and supportive environment.
    • Engaging Discussions: From the latest tech trends to timeless tech debates, dive into discussions that matter to you.
    • Share Your Knowledge: Got tech insights or questions? This is your platform to share, learn, and grow.
    • Ad-Free Browsing: Once you're a member, those AdSense ads disappear, making your experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Becoming part of Uncrowned Addiction means joining a community where your love for technology is shared and celebrated. Sign up now and start your journey with us – where curiosity meets community!

👉 Join us – it's free, it's fun, and it's all about tech! 👈

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

Cancel Culture

AdSense Advertisement

I don't believe in censorship & that goes with Cancel Culture. A small group of people should not have a say in cancelling anybody. We have Freedom of Speech in America. If one doesn't like it, doesn't agree nor believe in it, don't watch the TV show, don't listen to that person, don't read that book. Do NOT put one's opinions on everybody else.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I don't like this. I think it is find to vote with your dollar and spend your time elsewhere if there is something you do not like... But going after people for things they have said or done in the past is just ridiculous. I don't know when this started or why, but I am sick of it. It just has enabled a small group of people to virtually shut a person's life down. It isn't right. 

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 9:33 AM, ZandraJoi said:

I don't believe in censorship & that goes with Cancel Culture. A small group of people should not have a say in cancelling anybody. We have Freedom of Speech in America. If one doesn't like it, doesn't agree nor believe in it, don't watch the TV show, don't listen to that person, don't read that book. Do NOT put one's opinions on everybody else.

While I agree that cancel culture is annoying, you have a misunderstanding of freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is freedom from government intervention. You can't get imprisoned for talking trash about say, the president or whatever politician you dislike. 

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequence. If I go around talking about how I think black people are subhuman, and we need to revoke women's voting rights, I can't wave my arms around going "freedom of speech" and now I have immunity for what I said. My job has every right to fire me, but I can't go to jail for it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with what @Grungie was saying.  The bottom line is that whoever you work for makes the rules.  Well, in fact, the problem is that what are known as tolerant thinkers control a lot of workplaces.  For instance, if you work for Duck Dynasty, not those people, you won't get cut down for extreme pro-gun rules or having traditional views of women.

Well, do people expect companies to cater to their personal views or be neutral?

On 11/24/2023 at 1:10 PM, Jason said:

Well, do people expect companies to cater to their personal views or be neutral?

That depends on the person. I think the average person just wants a company to just shut up and sell a product, and some people want a company to wholly follow their political views.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 5:49 AM, Grungie said:

That depends on the person. I think the average person just wants a company to just shut up and sell a product, and some people want a company to wholly follow their political views.

I view politics as very bad for business.   In fact, as you say, unless it's some political business, then why would people want to bring this stuff up?  

On 12/9/2023 at 2:47 PM, Jason said:

I view politics as very bad for business.   In fact, as you say, unless it's some political business, then why would people want to bring this stuff up?  

Some people tie their political beliefs into everything. Some companies also try to cater to a specific crowd, and some see success in it, and others fail miserably.

Cancel culture spearheaded changing The Redskins to The Commanders and The Indians to The Guardians as well as all the Confederate statute removals.

However, though, what point was being made and what good came of it?  Why shouldn't DC have an Indian team honoring the original USA inhabitants? Well, at the least, it could have been renamed Washington Warriors.

Edited by Jason

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Cancel culture spearheaded changing The Redskins to The Commanders and The Indians to The Guardians as well as all the Confederate statute removals.

However, though, what point was being made and what good came of it?  Why shouldn't DC have an Indian team honoring the original USA inhabitants? Well, at the least, it could have been renamed Washington Warriors.

I’m pretty sure the problem is because they find the term Indian offensive, as they prefer to be called Native Americans. The same can be said about the Redskins. It’s like having a team called the Black Faces or the Wetbacks. So I wouldn’t call it honoring the natives if they’re using a racial slur.

The FSU Seminoles are using the name of a real tribe, so at least from the name of the team, it isn’t offensive.

While I find cancel culture annoying, there’s definitely times where they’re actually right.

• 4 weeks later...

A big problem with Confederate statues is they are often in large southern USA cities with large numbers of African Americans, so obviously they're not popular.  Well, looking at voting records of AA, they've never voted with the whites they're for the most part, with FDR being one exception, so that's a big reason for their persecution.

On 1/3/2024 at 1:34 PM, Jason said:

A big problem with Confederate statues is they are often in large southern USA cities with large numbers of African Americans, so obviously they're not popular.  Well, looking at voting records of AA, they've never voted with the whites they're for the most part, with FDR being one exception, so that's a big reason for their persecution.

The vast majority of those statues were also added during the Jim Crow era, like a lot of Confederate imagery.

On 1/6/2024 at 8:08 AM, Grungie said:

The vast majority of those statues were also added during the Jim Crow era, like a lot of Confederate imagery.

To show whose the boss, obviously.  In that case, why can't people see the backlash?  Oh, they're oversensitive, of course. 😭

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 11:38 AM, Nebulous said:

I agree with it for those who deserve it but at the same time there are a lot of people who are falsely accused by a malicious person and just the accusation alone completely destroys their lives, so bad that they can never recover.

Personally, I don't have any problems with the cancel culture for as long as it's something that can be justified they are cancelling someone for, then it's worth it. But when it's just an agenda to bring someone down without any good reason, then that's where I have a serious problem with it and those doing it.