• 🚀 Join the Uncrowned Addiction Community Today! 🚀

Say Goodbye to Ads and Hello to Tech Talk!

👋 Hey there, tech enthusiast! Noticed those pesky ads? Well, we've got great news for you! Sign up for free at Uncrowned Addiction and enjoy an ad-free experience as part of our vibrant tech community.

Why Join Us?

• Friendly Community: Connect with fellow tech lovers in a welcoming and supportive environment.
    • Engaging Discussions: From the latest tech trends to timeless tech debates, dive into discussions that matter to you.
    • Share Your Knowledge: Got tech insights or questions? This is your platform to share, learn, and grow.
    • Ad-Free Browsing: Once you're a member, those AdSense ads disappear, making your experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Becoming part of Uncrowned Addiction means joining a community where your love for technology is shared and celebrated. Sign up now and start your journey with us – where curiosity meets community!

👉 Join us – it's free, it's fun, and it's all about tech! 👈

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

Social Platforms Move Towards Paid Subscription Models: Necessity or Cash Grab?

In a major shift for the social media landscape, major platforms including X (formerly known as Twitter), Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok are exploring or rolling out paid subscription models. While Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok seem to be focusing on ad-free experiences, X has taken a bolder step by proposing a fully paid access plan. Behind these changes, some analysts point to the European Union's rigorous stance on user data rights, which has possibly made the traditional, data-driven, ad-supported model less tenable. But what does this mean for users worldwide?

Some Points for Discussion

Changing Landscape of Social Media:

• Is this shift towards paid subscriptions a direct result of the EU's stringent policies on user data rights?
  • Are there other global factors at play pushing platforms in this direction?

User Experience vs. Monetization:

• Will an ad-free or paid access enhance user experience significantly, or will it only limit platform access to those who can afford it?
  • How might these changes impact content creators, influencers, and businesses that rely heavily on these platforms?

X's Bold Move:

• With X opting for a fully paid access model, how will this shift the dynamics of its user base?
  • Is X setting a new trend or taking a risky gamble?

Sustainability of Free Social Media:

• Given the historical reliance on user data for monetization, can any social media platform truly remain free in the future without compromising on user privacy or quality?

Possible Repercussions and Alternatives:

• How might these changes impact the global discourse, given the crucial role of these platforms in communication today?
  • Are we likely to see a rise in alternative platforms or decentralized social networks as a response?

Weigh In

What are your thoughts on this monumental shift?

• Do you support the move to paid subscriptions, or do you believe platforms should find other avenues for revenue without putting the cost on users?
  • Would you be willing to pay for an ad-free or premium experience on these platforms?
  • If so, how much would you consider a fair price?

Engage in the debate, share your insights, and let's dissect the future of social media together. Whether you're an everyday user, a content creator, or just an observer of the digital landscape, your perspective is invaluable.

AdSense Advertisement

The old saying "You get what you pay for". It would help prevent just any ol' person from creating an account. I wish we had that on Proboards. It's great that it's free but there are cons to it. One, people Wash Rinse Repeat forums. They create one, get bored, delete it, create another. If they had to pay for it, they wouldn't be so quick to delete. Plus I feel if you pay for something, even though you still have to be bound by their rules, you the consumer has more freedom. Proboards we are limited to what we can say & do. I feel even social media has that same mentality.

If social media moved to paid, I may look into joining them once again if I knew there'd be better security & privacy with that subscription.

X Premium is $8-$11/month or $84-$115/year. I think an average of $10/month or $100/year would be good.

I'd simply stop using them. I don't get very much out of them anyway (except arguably Facebook, which I use to keep in contact with my real-life friends - but, if they too refused to pay, then there'd be no point in me sticking around!)

6 hours ago, Kyng said:

I'd simply stop using them. I don't get very much out of them anyway (except arguably Facebook, which I use to keep in contact with my real-life friends - but, if they too refused to pay, then there'd be no point in me sticking around!)

In all hopefulness it might be a boom for forums and micro communities!  But ya, I'd never pay for personal social media, the business side is what make it complicated.

• Like 1

X isn't going to have a paid-only model. You just will have to pay for premium access and features. This is the only way to avoid censorship and I do support it. They need to be able to pay to keep the site running and the lights on and without ad revenue and taking the company private, money needs to come from somewhere. I have considered paying monthly for the service but I won't until there is a way to either do it with crypto or without tracking. I don't want my personal identity linked to my account. 

• 2 months later...

If people aren't paying, then they are the product😀   This funny saying I saw posted on some college professor's office door, and it certainly rings true, and if it is true, then it's no loss to them to stay free.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jason said:

If people aren't paying, then they are the product😀   This funny saying I saw posted on some college professor's office door, and it certainly rings true, and if it is true, then it's no loss to them to stay free.

This is the truth for sure! Although it seems to be a concept that people don't really like to justify when they find out that they are the product.

While I previously said I would stop using them if forced to pay for the basic service itself, I don't mind the concept of paying for extras. Ad revenue isn't exactly reliable when many people have ad blockers, and people don't want their data being sold, so... this is probably a more reliable alternative, assuming they have something worth selling!

Still, I probably won't buy any of them, since I don't use social media enough myself.

Edited by Kyng

• 1 month later...

Honestly, looking at how much Elon Musk paid for the acquisition of Twitter's ownership, there was no way I wasn't expecting him not to monetize the subscription access to the social media site. One way or another, he's definitely going to get back 100% of what he paid or at least part of it.