• 🚀 Join the Uncrowned Addiction Community Today! 🚀

Say Goodbye to Ads and Hello to Tech Talk!

👋 Hey there, tech enthusiast! Noticed those pesky ads? Well, we've got great news for you! Sign up for free at Uncrowned Addiction and enjoy an ad-free experience as part of our vibrant tech community.

Why Join Us?

• Friendly Community: Connect with fellow tech lovers in a welcoming and supportive environment.
    • Engaging Discussions: From the latest tech trends to timeless tech debates, dive into discussions that matter to you.
    • Share Your Knowledge: Got tech insights or questions? This is your platform to share, learn, and grow.
    • Ad-Free Browsing: Once you're a member, those AdSense ads disappear, making your experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Becoming part of Uncrowned Addiction means joining a community where your love for technology is shared and celebrated. Sign up now and start your journey with us – where curiosity meets community!

👉 Join us – it's free, it's fun, and it's all about tech! 👈

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

Linux Users

brinxy29

Who here uses Linux? I made the switch away from Windows in 2016 and have not looked back. I feel more comfortable and better secured on Linux vs Windows there they basically allow back-doors to everything on your PC. No thanks! I am currently using KDE Plasma. This is a recent change for me. I never used it before but have been enjoying it. Previous to this I was using Cinnamon and while I switched around a few times I always went back to it. 

Any other Linux users here?

AdSense Advertisement

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 12:59 AM, Uncrowned Guard said:

I always say that I might switch over, but never do.  However, rumors of a "cloud-based", subscription-modeled Windows 12 coming might push me finally into Linux.

I can't find many sources on that for Windows 12.

Also I've been hearing people threatening to move to Linux every time Microsoft releases a new OS, and most of them are empty threats. Most of them either try it out for a little bit, and then get too frustrated at how different it is, and go back. That's if they actually put some effort into installing a distro in the first place.

It's not like an easy flip of a switch and go "I'm not using Windows anymore". There's all of your stuff you have to transfer over, then finding out that a good bit of your favorite software is either missing, or requires a lot of tweaks to actually work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Where it's feasible. Having an abnormal number of home devices lets me have my cake and eat it. As Grungie points out the transition is not an easy switch, the Linux way is fundamentally different and while people with generally little knowledge of the difference or people who are just that in depth may not find it challenging, there is a vast in between of hurdles that cause people to skip a beat and swap back.

If anyone is thinking of this, the best advice I know of is to measure your expectations, to avoid jumping right into the deep end, and to not overthink it. Pick something and run, I tend to think Linux Mint is the best for this but if your spice is Debian or Ubuntu or heck, you're that odd fellow who got right into Arch Linux and loves it, then stick to it. Hopping is an easy way to kill your momentum, most of what you're looking at is just the desktop (not the same as the wider OS). Maybe instead decide if you like Gnome or KDE or want something in between (Cinnamon is a nice uncontroversial choice, XFCE is great for very low end hardware), and pick the best distro that appeals to that. For all the difference there is a great deal that is the same. Bothering with all the this or that is what knocks you out when most setups are just fine as long as they suit your hardware.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Darth Cognus said:

Where it's feasible. Having an abnormal number of home devices lets me have my cake and eat it. As Grungie points out the transition is not an easy switch, the Linux way is fundamentally different and while people with generally little knowledge of the difference or people who are just that in depth may not find it challenging, there is a vast in between of hurdles that cause people to skip a beat and swap back.

If anyone is thinking of this, the best advice I know of is to measure your expectations, to avoid jumping right into the deep end, and to not overthink it. Pick something and run, I tend to think Linux Mint is the best for this but if your spice is Debian or Ubuntu or heck, you're that odd fellow who got right into Arch Linux and loves it, then stick to it. Hopping is an easy way to kill your momentum, most of what you're looking at is just the desktop (not the same as the wider OS). Maybe instead decide if you like Gnome or KDE or want something in between (Cinnamon is a nice uncontroversial choice, XFCE is great for very low end hardware), and pick the best distro that appeals to that. For all the difference there is a great deal that is the same. Bothering with all the this or that is what knocks you out when most setups are just fine as long as they suit your hardware.

Tbh, Mint, Ubuntu, and Debian aren't that different under the hood. Mint is based off Ubuntu, which in turn is based off Debian. So if you can figure one Debian distro out, you can figure the others out.

Arch is annoying for me, because it feels like the wannabe “difficult” distro, but without the benefit of Gentoo. Gentoo teaches you more of how Linux functions, and Arch feels like faux gate keeping. The community doesn’t help with that image either.

Edited by Grungie