• 🚀 Join the Uncrowned Addiction Community Today! 🚀

Say Goodbye to Ads and Hello to Tech Talk!

👋 Hey there, tech enthusiast! Noticed those pesky ads? Well, we've got great news for you! Sign up for free at Uncrowned Addiction and enjoy an ad-free experience as part of our vibrant tech community.

Why Join Us?

• Friendly Community: Connect with fellow tech lovers in a welcoming and supportive environment.
    • Engaging Discussions: From the latest tech trends to timeless tech debates, dive into discussions that matter to you.
    • Share Your Knowledge: Got tech insights or questions? This is your platform to share, learn, and grow.
    • Ad-Free Browsing: Once you're a member, those AdSense ads disappear, making your experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Becoming part of Uncrowned Addiction means joining a community where your love for technology is shared and celebrated. Sign up now and start your journey with us – where curiosity meets community!

👉 Join us – it's free, it's fun, and it's all about tech! 👈

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

Promotion Forums: Effective Member Attraction Strategy or Not?

I've been thinking about the role of promotion forums in growing our communities and wanted to share some insights and open up a discussion. 

Promotion Forums: The Paradox

We often visit promotion forums with the hope of attracting new members. However, it's a bit like going to a gym equipment store to find new gym members. Most people there are also gym owners, not potential gym members. In other words, promotion forums are full of admins looking to boost their own sites, not necessarily to join others.

What Promotion Forums Excel At

That's not to say these forums don't have their merits. They are fantastic for:

• Networking with fellow admins
  • Accessing resources and admin-specific services
  • Boosting your site’s visibility through link sharing
  • Potentially attracting members indirectly through increased activity and Google search visibility
  • Benefiting from the support and activity of a community of admins

But if your primary goal is to find new members, these might not be the most fertile grounds.

The Flip Side: Non-Promotion Forums and Niche Advertising

Now, consider promotion sections in non-promotion forums, where the audience includes regular users, not just admins. Or think about buying ads on forums that align with your niche. Here, you're marketing directly to potential new members.

The User Commitment Factor

A point to ponder: research shows users are generally reluctant to leave a service they're accustomed to, even for a better one. This inertia is evident in social media and likely applies to forums too. People committed to a particular forum are not easily swayed to join another.

Let's Discuss!

• Have you had success with promotion forums?
  • What strategies have worked best for you in attracting new members?
  • Do you think forum users are as hesitant as social media users to try new platforms?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences!

Edited by Uncrowned Guard

• 1 month later...

AdSense Advertisement

@Uncrowned Guard

"In other words, promotion forums are full of admins looking to boost their own sites, not necessarily to join others."

That is exactly what Promotion Forums are. They are to PROMOTE your forum, to get help, support, feedback. How to make it better & more attractive. While others have joined another's forum, it's more to help each other out.

"A point to ponder: research shows users are generally reluctant to leave a service they're accustomed to, even for a better one. This inertia is evident in social media and likely applies to forums too. People committed to a particular forum are not easily swayed to join another."

Not unless they just do it as a means of being supportive.

Have you had success with promotion forums?

Yes, I have. But people have to realize they have to put the work into it. You can't just Promote & Run & figure you'll get members & help. You have to be active, to get your name out there so people will recognize you. Promotion Forums also utilize Services such as Packages, Exchanges, Reviews that can help boost the activity.

What strategies have worked best for you in attracting new members?

Just having my name be out there & people have gotten to know me.

This is a simple thing but one I feel is very much often overlooked- Kindness & Respect. People want to join forums they feel a part of, not just a number. Events can be nice but they don't KEEP the members there, not long term.

Do you think forum users are as hesitant as social media users to try new platforms?

Some people are deadset on only joining or not joining certain platforms. I've known some people who are only on Proboards & only would join Proboards' forums. Flipside, many have had issues (PB has gone downhill unfortunately) so will NOT join PB any longer.

Some platforms can be hard to navigate. The Staff needs to have a How-To Guide available for new users.

Edited by ZandraJoi
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ZandraJoi said:

@Uncrowned Guard

"In other words, promotion forums are full of admins looking to boost their own sites, not necessarily to join others."

That is exactly what Promotion Forums are. They are to PROMOTE your forum, to get help, support, feedback. How to make it better & more attractive. While others have joined another's forum, it's more to help each other out.

"A point to ponder: research shows users are generally reluctant to leave a service they're accustomed to, even for a better one. This inertia is evident in social media and likely applies to forums too. People committed to a particular forum are not easily swayed to join another."

Not unless they just do it as a means of being supportive.

Have you had success with promotion forums?

Yes, I have. But people have to realize they have to put the work into it. You can't just Promote & Run & figure you'll get members & help. You have to be active, to get your name out there so people will recognize you. Promotion Forums also utilize Services such as Packages, Exchanges, Reviews that can help boost the activity.

What strategies have worked best for you in attracting new members?

Just having my name be out there & people have gotten to know me.

This is a simple thing but one I feel is very much often overlooked- Kindness & Respect. People want to join forums they feel a part of, not just a number. Events can be nice but they don't KEEP the members there, not long term.

Do you think forum users are as hesitant as social media users to try new platforms?

Some people are deadset on only joining or not joining certain platforms. I've known some people who are only on Proboards & only would join Proboards' forums. Flipside, many have had issues (PB has gone downhill unfortunately) so will NOT join PB any longer.

Some platforms can be hard to navigate. The Staff needs to have a How-To Guide available for new users.

Definitely some good replies!  Forums are certainly benefiting from long term relationships with other forums and their members for sure!  

The challenges getting members to hop software is also definitely a problem for admins since we can't exactly up to the "next best thing" every couple years.  Granted you bring up an excellence point with having a how-to guide.  In fact I might work on some things around here to help new users as well.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 8:19 PM, Uncrowned Guard said:

Definitely some good replies!  Forums are certainly benefiting from long term relationships with other forums and their members for sure!  

The challenges getting members to hop software is also definitely a problem for admins since we can't exactly up to the "next best thing" every couple years.  Granted you bring up an excellence point with having a how-to guide.  In fact I might work on some things around here to help new users as well.

I made a How to navigate this forum guide for my forum. It was when I was on Social Media & people had joined but were fumbling around at how forums work.

Look forward to see what you have planned 🙂

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.